Saturday, March 22, 2014

• S P R I N G • B R E A K • 2 0 1 4 • P A R T • O N E •

I have been SO excited to share this trip with you! Due to the length of the trip and the ghastly amount of photos I took, I have decided to break this trip up into multiple posts. Hence, part 1. 
Part one includes our flight, day 1 and day 2. So, now that the series is somewhat explained, lets dive right in!

My roommate is from San Diego, so for spring break (hereafter referred to as SB) we decided to go there. She wanted to see her family and friends and I wanted to go anywhere. It worked out magically. 
We did so much while we were there. Great fashion, great people, great food. It was great. In case you couldn't tell.

DAY 1

My mom and I have this inside joke. Well it isn't inside and I don't know if she thinks it's funny, but I think I'm a riot, so it's a joke. Anyhoo, I call my mom Ginger. Gingersnap, Gingermom, Gingerpeach, pretty much anything I can attach 'Ginger' to, I do. So when I was shopping for healthy (insanely overpriced) snacks in the airport and came across these lovely little gems, I was pretty damn excited. It took me 2.5 seconds to snap a picture and send it to my mom. She is my Ginge after all. :)




 Obviously I'm going to take a picture from the plane, add a filter and Instagram it.



We flew into LAX. It was major. It was warm, and sunny, and fabulous, and I never wanted to go back. But I'm back and it's sad. We were definitely in a shopping mood. I mean, we were in one of the largest shopping meccas in the world. Unfortunately I was extremely boggled and amazed and didn't get very many photos from this portion of the trip. 

Melrose.
'Cause why not. We went up and down the entire avenue, and in and out of tons of shops. There is some weird crap on that street. I love it. 
This chair was brilliant. I think every person on earth needs a chair like this. Everyone deserves a throne and this is a pretty dope one. The silver mannequins are quite fab too. The chair and the mannequins are a package deal, right?


THIS. This is/was/will forever be GOLD. My mom, and by default me, is obsessed with Bon Jovi. No shame. This little nugget of awesome was found in an old thrift shop. I mean, it's pretty self explanatory. How can you not just fall all over yourself with lust over this shirt? 

BTDubs. Totes got yelled at for taking this picture. But I'm a rebel so whatevs. :) 



DAY 2

So... I didn't have time for an OOTD (Outfit of the Day), but here's a quick selfie. Everyone loves a good selfie. And plaid. And lipstick. Plaid, lipstick and selfies. I think I was going somewhere with that... 


After I spent way too much time taking pictures of myself, we went shopping at Fashion Valley Mall. For those of you that follow me on Instagram, I posted the last photo on my account.

Food is the best, and there are so many great places to eat, but I wanted to try out True Food Kitchen, so we did and it was amazing!! Their food is clean, and healthy and nutrient dense and everything that I wanted it to be.

"Honest food that tastes really good." 


I ordered the 'Inside Out' Quinoa Burger with Sweet Potato Hash and Tuscan Kale Salad with a Pomegranate Limeade. Everything that we ordered was fantastic. The waitress told us that we should try the kale salad because that's what they're known for. I can see why. It was sort of life changing. The whole meal was absolutely amazing, but the kale salad was my favorite part. 

Since we've been home, we have made the kale salad and the quinoa burgers multiple times. The salad is so simple, and quick. It takes 10 minutes to whip up and you probably already have the ingredients in your kitchen. The burgers aren't the 'True Food Kitchen' burgers, but they are just as delicious. They are a little more complicated, but you can double the recipe and freeze them for later.

The recipes for both will be below. 



Tuscan Kale Salad

Ingredients
• 4-6 C. Kale, loosely packed
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 3-4 Tbs. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 2 Cloves Garlic, mashed
• Salt & Pepper (to taste)
• Hot Red Pepper Flakes (to taste)
• 2/3 C. Grated Pecorino Toscano Cheese (Rosselino brand if you can find it)
• 1/2 C. freshly made bread crumbs from lightly toasted bread

Directions
1. Whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and a generous pinch (or more to taste) or hot red pepper flakes
2. Pour over kale in serving bowl and toss well
3. Add 2/3 of the cheese and toss again
4. Let kale sit for at least 5 minutes. Add bread crumbs, toss again, and top with remaining cheese.


Quinoa Burger
(Adapted from this Quinoa Veggie Burger)

Ingredients
• 1 C. Water
• 1/2 C. Quinoa of choice
• 1 Tbs. Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
• 1 C. Diced Onion
• 2 C. finely chopped White Mushrooms
• 1 tsp. minced Garlic
• 3/4 tsp. dried Marjoram
• 1/4 tsp dried Oregano
• 1 Large Egg
• 2/3 C. shredded low-moisture Mozzarella 
• 1/2 C. whole Pecans, toasted and finely chopped
• 1/3 C. quick-cooking Rolled Oats
• 1 Tbs reduced-sodium Soy Sauce
• small whole-wheat burger buns (optional)

Directions
1. Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and   cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside. 
2. Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper (or tin foil).
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting
to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram, and oregano. Cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
4. Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats, and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Scoop scant 1/2 C. portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 patties, about 3 inches wide, leaving about 1 inch of space between each patty. (The mixture will be crumbly. Tip: use a measuring cup and pack it firmly into the cup, like brown sugar. This helps the patty take and keep a patty shape when placed on baking sheet. The burgers hold together better once baked).
5. Bake the burgers until crispy, 28 to 30 minutes. Serve on buns, if you choose (lettuce wrap the burger for a lighter option) top with your favorite garnishes.


XO -B

No comments:

Post a Comment